Simple Exercises for Sciatica Relief [Easy To Learn]
There are some simple exercises that can bring about sciatica relief. In this post, we will be discussing on these simple exercises. But before we discuss on that, let’s briefly discuss on what sciatica is.
What is Sciatica? Sciatica refers to pain that extends across the path of the sciatic nerve, which branches from your lower back through your hips and buttocks, and down to your legs.
Sciatica is a self-diagnosable common health issue, and it typically mostly affect only one side of the affected area. However, some exercises are proven to help in sciatica relief.
What Causes Sciatica?
- An injury, strain, or muscle spasm to your back.
- Arthritis, also called the disease of the joints.
- A degenerative disc disease or herniated intervertebral disc.
- Spiral stenosis – pressure on the nerves that is caused by narrowing the spinal canal.
The above mentioned causes of sciatica are the most common causes, also there are ways achievable through exercise that can bring about sciatica relief.
Stretching As A Sciatica Relief
Sciatica relief is achievable through some certain exercises, if you engage yourself in some exercises like stretching, you may be able to manage sciatica pain properly. Stretching offers valuable help for your painful muscles. Stretching can help in releasing tension that strengthens and prepare your muscle, also allow your body to cool down.
When you stretch your body before and after an exercise session, it can help to kick out any crick that may be bothering you, therefore brings about relief from sciatica. Stretching isn’t just about sciatica relief — it may also be great for other sort of pains, including those caused by the sciatic nerve.
When Does Sciatica Get Worst?
- At night – sciatica is said to get worst at night than the day.
- After standing or sitting for an extended period of time – sitting in one position or standing for a long period of time tend to worsen sciatica pain.
- When sneezing, coughing, or laughing – sciatica pain also get worst when ones cough, sneeze or laugh.
- After bending backward – if you are suffering from sciatica, the pain will get worse whenever you bend your body backward.
- After walking for a long period of time – sciatica pain also get worst when you walk and cover a very long distance.
Exercise Tips for Sciatica Relief
If you are suffering from sciatica, these tips brings about sciatica relief, and will help you in getting over sciatica pain overtime. The following tips are greatly associated with stretching of your body, but in different positions.
1. Knee to chest stretch
This is one of the possible stretching exercises that can help in sciatica relief. Lie on your back with your knees folded and feet on the floor surface. Hold your right knee with your hands, and gently bend it toward your chest. Gently pull your hamstring, and draw your leg closer to your chest. Repeat this process on your other knee for a period of time.
2. Standing Hamstring Stretch
Another possible stretching exercise that helps in relief from sciatica is standing hamstring stretch. Place your right foot on a chair or desk, at or below your hip level. Keep your leg, knee in a straight position together with your toes pointing up. Then engage the quadriceps (muscle of the thigh that extends the leg), and release the upper part of your body downward until you feel a stretch through the back of your leg. Repeat this process on the other leg.
3. Sitting Spinal Stretch
Sitting spinal stretch also prove to help in sciatica relief. Sit sideways in a chair, with your right hip facing the rear of the chair. Place both hands on the rear of the chair, and gently twist through the spine. Repeat the same process gently on the other side.
4. Lying Deep Glute Stretch
Lie on your back with your legs folded, and your feet on the floor. Then open one of your knees out so the same foot rest on the other thigh. Hold onto the thigh with the foot resting on it, and pull it toward yourself. Repeat the same process on the other leg.
However, sciatica causes discomfort in lower back, hip, and buttocks and worsen at night, after bending backward, or when sneezing. Sciatica relief is achievable through some certain exercises — stretching exercises have proven to help in sciatica relief. Therefore, stretching exercises such as knee to chest stretch, sitting spinal stretch, standing hamstring stretch, and so on have all proven to be effective simple exercises to relieve you from sciatica.
- The best care professionals
- Knowledge and support for people with heart disease
- Personalized care to meet your family’s needs
- Experience making a healthy diet and habits easier